International Student Employment

Students in F-1 Nonimmigrant Status

As an international student in F-1 nonimmigrant status, your employment should be verified by the OIA. Please note that a Social Security number is not work authorization.

On-Campus Employment

For those students on an F-1 student visa, on-campus employment is available and generally permitted as long as it does not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. Examples of on-campus work include work-study, assistantships, and fellowships. All students must check-in with the OIA before they begin working on campus to ensure that they are authorized to work. On-campus employment is not considered Practical Training (OPT or CPT).

Off-Campus Employment (Practical Training)

F-1 students qualify for off-campus work authorization after they’ve been at in good standing for at least one academic year at the college level. An eligible F-1 student may request employment authorization for practical training in a position that is directly related to their major field of study. In general, the total number of hours for off-campus employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. However, full-time employment is possible during vacation periods, provided that you intend to register for the subsequent academic term. Request forms for practical training can be found on the OIA website. There are two types of practical training available:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) may be authorized by the OIA for off-campus employment during the student’s program. All CPT must be an integral part of the established curriculum. Authorization is indicated on Page 2 of the I‐20 and includes the name of the company, beginning and ending date and location of the employment. CPT requests must be submitted at least 24 hours prior to the engagement, and you are not permitted to begin working until they have received authorization from the OIA. Students who work full‐time on CPT for 12 months or more automatically lose eligibility for OPT at that degree level.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) must be authorized by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) based on a recommendation from the OIA. Students are eligible for up to 12 months of OPT at each higher degree level. Students who have received OPT authorization will be issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by USCIS and will be permitted to work in the U.S. in positions that are directly related to their field of study. The student name, photo and valid dates of employment are printed on the EAD. Students should note that the average processing time for USCIS to issue the EAD is three months, and students may begin employment only after they receive the EAD indicating the start and end dates of employment.

Students in Other Visa Categories

All international students at Juilliard must provide the OIA with copies of their immigration paperwork. Students are not permitted to work on-campus until they have received authorization from the OIA.

Consequences of Unauthorized Work

Students who work without proper authorization can face severe immigration consequences. Often a student will need to leave the U.S. immediately and may have problems returning in the future or with future visa applications. All international students should speak with the Office of International Advisement (OIA) before engaging in any employment.

Last Updated Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023, 12:53PM